Thursday, September 06, 2007

2nd day of school = bad; 3rd day... much better

so my second day of school was terrible. There is a particular class - 28 students, lots of rowdy boys, chatty and disrespectful kids who decided (and told another teacher this too) that since I was a first-year teacher they could get away with everything. My other classes weren't quite as bad but they wanted to test me as well. I think I handled myself ok but I was not happy at the end of the day (slight understatement).

I stayed at school until 11:00pm (I went home for supper though) and prepared for today - seating arrangements, desks in rows instead of groups, extensive and different lesson plans (no more fun things until they behave) - when the kids asked why it was different I told them it was a test and they failed. Today was much better. I still had fun, but with that one large class... they will be taking notes until they learn how to behave and participate appropriately in class.

Just a little bit of planning and set up for tomorrow and then time to relax. Tomorrow will be a great day - only Chemistry (which has been going very well) and Biology 12 (a small class of great students).

Ah, the first year teaching. Nothing anyone told me really described it. The amount of work didn't surprise me, it's the other things.

7 comments:

Margaret said...

Good job! Put your foot down early so that they know the limits, and you'll be fine.

Andrea said...

Ooooh....good luck. Way to be a stern schoolmarm. When do you want to get together?

sara without an 'h' said...

hey girl, just a thought: you'd better make sure none of your students ever read your blog! :)

sara without an 'h' said...

so how was day...20?

sara without an 'h' said...

so...how about the 45th day of school??

Justine Teresa said...

you should probably consider blogging again.
just saying....

Anonymous said...

Blog? Why not?